CDL Training in Delaware

delaware cdl trainingBefore beginning CDL training in Delaware, it’s recommended to study the Delaware Commercial Drivers manual which covers all the requirements, procedures, and the basic knowledge you will need to be issued a CDL license. You can pick up this manual at no cost at any Division facility.

No CDL license is required for farm equipment, firefighting equipment, recreational vehicles, or military vehicles.

The following is a list of basic CDL license requirements that must be met before beginning CDL training in Delaware:

  • You must be 18 years old with at least one year driving experience to drive a commercial vehicle within the state.
  • You must be 21 years old with at least one year driving experience to drive a commercial vehicle outside the state of Delaware or to transport hazardous materials.
  • You must be a Delaware resident.
  • Your license cannot be denied, suspended, revoked, disqualified, or canceled in Delaware or any other state.
  • You must have medical certification under the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations-Physical Qualifications for Drivers.
  • You must complete and sign a CDL license application. Your signature certifies that you are providing correct personal information and an accurate driving history. It also signifies your consent to submit to chemical tests for controlled substances.

You will be required to take the necessary knowledge tests for the CDL license for which you’re applying. When you have passed the written test and paid the $30 fee for a five-year license, you will receive a CDL permit. This allows you to drive a commercial vehicle with another licensed CDL driver. The permit is valid for six months.

Your CDL skills test will be scheduled at your request, and includes Pre-Trip Inspection, Basic Control Skills, and On Road Driving. You can schedule your skills test appointment at the same motor vehicle office where you took the written test.

Your skills test must be taken in the same type of vehicle you intend to drive commercially. The vehicle you plan to test in must be able to pass a motor vehicle inspection and must be insured and registered, otherwise the examiner cannot accompany you and therefore cannot give you your test. Be advised you may be asked to provide the vehicle’s registration, insurance, and the drivers license of the vehicle owner.

For additional information about CDL training in Delaware, visit the following website:

Leave a Reply

© 2012 CDL Training. All rights reserved.